Winter in Wisconsin is well underway but each day, the long nights are gradually getting shorter reminding us that Spring is on its way. For most real estate markets, the spring season is when it starts to get busier with new homes listed and more buyers in the marketplace. The Oconomowoc real estate market is certainly no exception. You may have been thinking about downsizing or capitalizing on the low inventory of homes for sale in Oconomowoc and the surrounding areas. If you’re considering selling your home in 2019, winter is the time to begin preparing your home before it hits the market. Here are some improvements you can start doing now, to ensure you will get the best price for your home.
- Declutter. You want to showcase your home to potential buyers, not your personal belongings. Good places in your home to start are the closets, the pantry, the basement and garage. Buyers will be looking at the storage options a home has so decluttering storage areas will help the spaces appear larger. If you can’t part with your extra stuff, consider renting a storage unit to store some of your belongings while your home is on the market.
- Small improvements to the bathrooms and kitchen. Most home buyers place high value on the kitchen and bathrooms of a home. Small improvements to the bathrooms and kitchen can help them feel more updated without spending a lot of time and money. For the bathrooms, re-grouting the tile, re-cauking the tubs, showers and sinks, and updating the lighting fixtures and faucets can help freshen up the space. For the kitchen, updating the cabinet hardware, adding a new sink and faucet, and replacing outdated lighting fixtures can help make it more appealing to potential buyers.
- Fresh Paint. Paint over scuff marks and repaint darker walls to more neutral and lighter paint colors. These colors are less distracting to potential buyers and can make rooms feel bigger.
- Spruce up the front door. A fresh coat of paint and new hardware on the front door can make a great first impression.
- Replace or paint the mailbox and address numbers. Considering curb appeal, take a look at your mailbox and address numbers. Are they rusted, faded or maybe sitting crooked? Repainting or replacing them can help make a good first impression.
These minor improvements to your home can help make a good lasting impression on potential buyers and could help sway them to write higher offers. Starting to prepare your home now before putting in on the market is a good way to ease in to the home selling process. Despite the fact that inventory of homes for sale in Oconomowoc and the Lake Country Area are currently limited, Spring is generally the time when we start seeing new listings pop up on the real estate market. A good way to get ahead of the competition for buyers is to list your home earlier (within the first quarter of the year), when there are fewer competing homes for sale.
If you would like advice on what improvements would be recommended for your home or would like to discuss what your home is worth in today’s market, we would be happy to help. Please contact us or request a complimentary home market analysis today!