When choosing what home improvements to complete, it is important to consider what upgrades will increase your home’s value and have the highest ROI when it comes time to sell. Here are 7 recommendations to make a better decision on where to spend your money.
- Finish your basement. A great way to add value to your home is to increase the amount of living space. A finished basement helps homes feel more spacious and can be used for a variety of purposes. Refinishing your basement will make your home more appealing to future home buyers that may need space for a children’s play area, rec. room, exercise area, hobby/craft space, and/or an additional bedroom.
- Create or improve an outdoor living area. Another way to increase the amount of living space, which adds value to your home, is to establish or improve an outdoor living area. Having a defined outdoor space for seating, grilling, and entertaining guests is a great way to bump up the amount of living space your home has. Check out these 6 design tips for your outdoor living spaces.
- Make your laundry room more accessible. A laundry area that does not require stairs to get to adds convenience, which ultimately adds value to your home. Consider adding a first-floor laundry area that could also be used as a mud room.
- Add an additional bathroom. It will increase the functionality of your home and therefore add value.
- Complete a minor remodel to the kitchen and bathrooms. Cosmetic updates to the bathrooms and kitchen are cost effective ways to add value to your home. Sanding and painting existing cabinets and drawers, updating fixtures, and adding new flooring can help transform the spaces.
- Upgrade flooring. Besides adding new flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms, the other rooms in your home may also need some updating. Old carpet can be a major turnoff for buyers looking for a move-in ready home. There are many options these days to replace old flooring. If you have hard wood floors, sanding and re-staining them may be all that is needed.
- Replace old windows. Energy efficient windows can help you save money on your utility costs and can be a major selling point to future home buyers.
Recommended pages for you: