If you’re thinking about listing your home in the next few months, here are some ways to prepare your home to sell in spring.
Winter Image by James DeMers
Winter Weather Lingers: Focus on the interior to prepare your home to sell in spring.
- Brighten up your interior. With more hours of daylight ahead, let in more natural lighting. Remove heavy drapes and replace with lighter ones. Sheer curtains as the first layer, is a nice option to maintain some privacy while still letting natural light in.
- Swap out dark colors and heavy fabrics. To celebrate that spring is approaching, freshen up your interior by swapping out pieces such as window treatments, bedding, towels, rugs, and throws for brighter colored ones. Heavier fabrics to swap out include wool, fleece, knits, fur and velvet.
- Repaint walls to neutral colors. Highly personalized rooms can make it difficult for potential buyers to envision themselves to live there. Wallpaper and dark or colorful walls can be distracting and give home buyers the impression that your home is not fully move-in ready.
Spring Weather Comes Early: Embrace the warmer weather.
- Start boosting your home’s curb appeal. Lay some fresh mulch down. Rake up leaves and debris from your yard. Spruce up or replace your mailbox and address numbers. Repaint your front door. These examples can show potential buyers that your home was well maintained. Focusing on your home’s curb appeal is an important task to prepare your home to sell in spring, since many home buyers will drive by a home they are interested in before scheduling a showing.
- Clean and put out your outdoor furniture. Stage your outdoor furniture on your patio or deck to remind buyers that there is additional living space outside of the home.
- Let the fresh air in. Take the opportunity to let fresh air in by opening up some windows. To emphasize the new season, make your home smell vibrant with floral or spring rain scents.